Saturday, September 7, 2013

Very Cosmopolitan.

I started my mobile home experience in college. Since my parents believed that mobile home living was beneath them, I never got a chance to experience what living in a mobile home could be. I say beneath them, because my parents believed that providing a stick built home, was essential for our families happiness. They believed in this so strongly, that family vacations and trips to the lake(camping, fishing, outings, ect..) were sacrificed to pay the mortgage. They were sacrificed to save money and to free up more time to work. None of my fondest childhood memories are attached to the house we lived in, they are all attached to the people I shared them with. This seems to be part of the deeper psychology, attached to the homes we choose to live in.

When I started college, I moved in with my cousin, in a little mobile home park in Stillwater, Oklahoma. His house was on it's last leg, but it was clean and neatly decorated (college kid style, with mostly junk furniture). He had no cable and two movies, "Tombstone" and the "Man From Snowy River". To this day, I can recite every scene from "Tombstone". While living there I noticed that the mobile home next door, was vacant for a long time. I inquired about it, found out it was up for quick sale, and said goodbye to Kurt Russel.

While in college I; bought, renovated, and sold four mobile homes for profit. When I graduated from college, our newlywed home, was a mobile home that had caught fire in the bedroom. We poured our sweat and love into it, and made it awesome. To this day, I wish we had kept it. However, we sold that house when a job opportunity came up that required us to move out of state.

When we moved back to Oklahoma, we found a double wide on 20 acres. We remodeled the double wide and lived in it for 4 years.

The den from our old doublewide
 Another job opportunity came about that required us to be gone constantly. We put the house up for sale, and attempted to try extreme scaled down living, and live out of an RV. After a year of full time RV'ing, we decided it was not for us and purchased our current project, a late 90's model single wide. Since we paid off our land and house before we sold the doub lewide, we were free to pay cash and put the house anywhere on the 20 acres.

I have always wanted a house in the middle of the woods, so we located this one right in the middle of a 5 acre tract of timber on our place. One of the advantages of a single wide, is that if you have no codes to worry about, it can be located on any piece of dirt your heart desires. That piece of dirt can be prepped for a house in a day. A double wide on the other hand, takes a backhoe and about $3000.00 worth of concrete to prep the site.

The site for our new home
My entire life, I have thought of mobile home living as temporary, on my way to building a house. I have finally realized that happiness is found in Christ and relationships, not social status and possessions. The desire to live in a stick built house was programmed into me, by a society that looks down on mobile home dwellers. When you really stop to think about a home, it is simply a place to keep your stuff. Since a mobile home can have anything a stick built house can have, it would be logical to argue that some stick build dwellers, are seeking to create an image. That is a broad assumption, but it highlights the idea that we live in a country that puts way to much emphasis on possessions.  It is my hope, that I can lend my experience with remodeling mobile homes, free your mind to new ways of thinking, and share with you the most aggressive renovation I have ever attempted.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, This is one of the most inspiring, heartfelt and beautiful descriptions of the 'mobile home life' that I have ever had the pleasure to read. Thank you for sharing!
    I can't wait to read what you write next!
    Your fan,
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete